Our President and CEO, Chris Cox, joined Fox 2 Now's Studio STL to discuss the importance of self care. You can't pour from an empty cup, and you don't have to feel guilty about taking time for yourself. Watch below to learn more:
Self Care is the practice of actively nurturing one's happiness and well being, and it's not as hard as you would think. Self care can be as big as tackling your bad habits, or as small as making a cup of tea. Taking a small amount of time for yourself can help find balance in other areas of your life, too. Holistic wellness can be put into 8 dimensions that focus on different aspects of everyday life. By taking care of one dimension, we often see the others improve. Read more in depth about SAMHSA's 8 dimensions of wellness.
- Emotional - Engaging in self care, building satisfying relationships with others, giving yourself grace.
- Spiritual - Defining values, joining a worship group, setting time to reflect.
- Intellectual - Learning something new, being creative, solving puzzles.
- Physical - Taking care of your body with exercise, nutrition, and sleep.
- Environmental - Volunteering in the community, creating a chore schedule, joining a neighborhood watch.
- Financial - Creating a budget, setting reasonable goals, avoiding debt.
- Occupational - Finding work/life balance, supporting coworkers, finding satisfaction in tasks
- Social - Maintaining a social network, finding a community, making connections.